Quotes on Stamp Collecting
Collecting, especially of the classifying sort epitomized by stamp collecting,
offered a means to seem to gain control of the world and of the past.
- RUSSELL W. BELK, Collecting in a Consumer Society
In their stamp collecting, boys ... played within the discourse of commerce
and nationalism and learned its language, learning to put the rest of the world
literally under their thumbs.
- LEAH DILWORTH, Acts of Possession
The collecting of stamps brings untold millions of people of all nations
into greater understandings of their world neighbours.
- Francis Cardinal Spellman of America while laying the foundation stone of
Cardinal Spellman Museum at Weston on July 27, 1972.
Consider the postage stamp, its usefulness consists in the ability to stick
to one thing till it gets there.
- American humorist John Billings.
The philatelist will tell you that stamps are educational, that they are
valuable, that they are beautiful. This is only part of the truth.
My notation is that the collection is a hedge, a comfort, a shelter into which
the sorely beset mind can withdraw. It is orderly, it grows towards completion,
it is something that can't be taken away from us.
- Clifton Fadiman Any Number Can Play.
All science is either Physics or stamp collecting.
- Erenst Rutherford physicist and Noble Laureate.
What should I do? I think the best thing is to order a stamp with my face on it.
- Charles, Emperor of Austria 1882-1922 on learning of his accession to the throne.
Stamp Collecting dispels boredom, enlarges our vision, broadens our knowledge,
makes us better citizens and in innumerable ways, enriches our lives.
- President Roosevelt
Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.
- Josh Billings
It would be hard to conceive of any activity more useless than stamp collecting.
- DAVE BARRY Dave Barry's Bad Habits
Much of the fun of stamp collecting is knowing from what countries stamps come,
when they were printed, and what events they commemorate.
- DANIEL FOX Arrowheads of the Central Great Plains
The fact that stamp collecting has long been the most popular hobby in the world,
with over 16 million enthusiasts in the United States alone, is a good indication
of how much fascination and appeal these colorful little pieces of gummed paper exert.
- ROBERT OBOJSKI A First Stamp Album for Beginners
I am really enjoying the new Martin Luther King Jr stamp - just think about all
those white bigots, licking the backside of a black man.
- Dick Gregory, American comedian, social activist, social critic, writer, and entrepreneur.
The most interesting thing about a postage stamp is the persistence with which it sticks to its job.
- Napoleon Hill
The President of today is just the postage stamp of tomorrow.
- Gracie Allen
Preserving tradition has become a nice hobby, like stamp collecting.
- Mason Cooley